Tugce Karatas (b.1989, Turkey) is a research scientist with a background in design and curation. Trained at Escola Superior de Artes e Design (Porto) and at Kingston University (London), her PhD at the University of Torino was funded by an MSCA Fellowship for Digital Technologies for Cultural Heritage programme. For her doctoral project, she developed digital curation techniques using semantic tools as a central part of data representation and integration for a centralised bespoke RDF database which provides new interfaces for the scientific investigation of cultural heritage data. She is currently the Research Data Manager for the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C²DH) at the University of Luxembourg where she works on the curation and preservation of large historical datasets, for example, digitalised collections of artefacts, paintings, photographs, GIS maps, and web archives.
Doctoral Thesis: Digital Data Curation through Semantic Encoding: An operational proposal for the journey of archaeological data
Methodology: Semantic relationships to support transdisciplinarity
Outcome: Digital Data Curation Model that supports the reflexive methodology of archaeology
Contact information and current position: Research Data Manager at the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C²DH), University of Luxembourg https://wwwen.uni.lu/c2dh/people/tugce_karatas
● Tugce Karatas and Vincenzo Lombardo. 2020. Decoding Digital Curation for Cultural Heritage: A Survey of The Current Frameworks on Digital Technologies, Preservation Actions, and Semantic Challenges International Digital Curation Conference 17-20 February 2020, Dublin/Ireland https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3668784
● Tugce Karatas and Vincenzo Lombardo. 2020. A Multiple Perspective Account of Digital Curation for Cultural Heritage: Tasks, Disciplines and Institutions. In Adjunct Proceedings of the 28th ACM Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP ’20 Adjunct), July 14–17, 2020, Genoa, Italy. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 8 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3386392.3399277
● Vincenzo Lombardo, Tugce Karatas, Rossana Damiano, Claudio Mattutino and Mariko Sasakura. 2020. Bringing Digital Curation to Archaeological Projects: Evidence from the BeArchaeo Project. Proceedings of the AVI2CH Workshop on Advanced Visual Interfaces and Interactions in Cultural Heritage co-located with 2020 International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces (AVI 2020). Island of Ischia, Italy, September 29, 2020. http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2687/paper3.pdf
● Vincenzo Lombardo, Rossana Damiano, Tugce Karatas, Claudio Mattutino. 2020. Linking Ontological Classes and Archaeological Forms. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-62466-8_43.
● Vincenzo Lombardo, Tugce Karatas, Monica Gulmini, Laura Guidorzi, and Debora Angelici. 2022. Transdisciplinary Approach to Archaeological Investigations in a Semantic Web perspective. Semantic Web Journal Special Issue Cultural Heritage http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/system/files/swj2915.pdf
Tech4Culture Fellow – Call 1 (2018)
Supervisor: Vincenzo Lombardo, Computer Science Department, UniTO